Here at SureSlim we believe that one of the number one secrets of weight loss is to drink water- and lots of it! But water is also key to maintaining good health and vitality.
So here’s our top reasons for why you should be drinking plenty of water to improve your mind, body and overall wellness.
15 Reasons why drinking water is important:
- 1. Water regulates your metabolism. It speeds it up so you can burn calories at a faster rate.
- 2. Water suppresses your appetite. When you have a craving remember that sometimes your body confuses hunger with thirst so drink up when you have the urge to give into temptation.
- 3. Water has anti-ageing benefits. Water benefits your skin’s collagen and elastin and helps boost cell repair to keep you from forming wrinkles.
- 4. You have nothing to lose (or literally, gain) by drinking it. Water has no fat, no calories, no carbs and no sugar.
- 5. Water minimises disease and sickness. This includes decreasing the chance of heart attacks, chronic pains such as rheumatoid arthritis, lower back pain, migraines as well as lowers cholesterol and blood pressure.
- 6. Water increases your energy levels. Dehydration is a main cause of fatigue and more energy also means that you are more likely to move around and lose more calories as a result.
- 7. Water helps to flush out toxins and waste from the body. This is especially important during weight loss because the body has more waste to get rid of.
- 8. Water helps transport all nutrients in the body. This is essential to the proper function of organs and adequate blood circulation.
- 9. Drinking water with a meal satisfies you more. Drinking a big glass of water with or before your meal makes you feel full sooner and therefore allows you to better control your portion intake.
- 10. Water reduces joint pain. This is because water helps to lubricate your joints, which helps you to avoid pain and wear during exercise.
- 11. Water improves the bone marrow. The bone marrow is where the immune system is formed so drinking water helps to replenish this area and fight against harmful infection.
- 12. Water is essential for regulating body temperature. It regulates our body’s own cooling and heating system by for instance, allowing us to sweat when we are hot.
- 13. Staying hydrated is necessary for the human brain. This is because our brain is 85% water, so to function at optimal levels and keep you alert its level of water needs to be sufficiently maintained.
- 14. Drinking water saves you money. Drink it straight from the tap and you’ll notice the difference in what you save from buying soft drinks and juices really adds up.
- 15. And lastly, you need water to survive! Did you know that a person can live for a month without food, but only about a week without water. This is because water is key in improving and regulating pretty much every single function of the body.
So you see that water is essential in maintaining health for a number of reasons and on top of this we still believe that it is the single most important catalyst in losing weight and keeping it off. Remember too that an average adult is made up of 60- 70% water, yet because most people live in a constant state of dehydration, we recommend drinking 2 Litres (or 6-8 glasses) of water each day.
If you’re not much of a water drinker or think you need to be drinking more, be sure to visit the Digest again for a post coming soon on tips to help you drink more water.