There’s been a lot of talk lately about how to approach your weight loss journey holistically. This means, being committed to a whole new healthy lifestyle that makes weight loss as easy as possible by addressing all areas of your life and seeing how you can alter each to bring you that one step closer to your weight loss goals.
Number one on the list of course is eating right, followed by regular exercise. But Dr. Suzanne Phelan of California Polytechnic State University also believes that your home environment can have an effect on your weight loss too.
Ask yourself this: When you walk into the kitchen is the first thing you see healthy or fatty foods? And does every room in your house have a Television yet you fail to own a single piece of exercise equipment?
It’s pretty simple, “If you want to choose better foods, keep better foods within reach and keep them visible so you don’t forget that they are there. ” Says Dr. David Katz, director of Yale University School of Medicine. Furthermore, if you want to be more active in the house, replace certain objects with opportunities to exercise. If you insist on keeping every single Television, why not invest in a Gym Ball to sit on whilst you watch?
Tips to give each room a weight loss make over
- Organise your fridge and pantry so that whole natural foods are visible and accessible, ensuring that they are up the front and in the centre to encourage you to make healthy decisions.
- Always keep your scales handy so that you can weigh your food and keep track of portion control. Also keep your cook books in sight and your favourite recipes on the fridge so that you don’t get tempted to order takeaway.
- Adequate sleep is important for weight loss success and overall health. So remove any form of office supplies and technology such as laptops from your room to separate work from rest and to help you unwind more easily.
- Hang that special dress or pair of jeans in your goal size somewhere visible on your bedroom wall as a reminder of your goals and what you’re working so hard towards.
The Dining Area:
- Make sure that you clear all distractions from the dinner table to ensure that you can focus on how you’re eating. This is backed by research which shows that you’re likely to consume 40% more calories whilst in front of the Television.
- Be sure to have a bowl of fruit around to stop you from grabbing a bag of snacks before or after dinner and to remind yourself to have your daily fruit intake that your body needs.
The Lounge Room:
- Keeping stress levels to a minimum is key to weight loss so make sure that your lounge room is a stress free sanctuary that optimises your chance of relaxation. Give yourself a special chair that you specifically go to when you know you need to relax, add a comfy blanket and fill the room with your favourite books and magazines.
- Also make sure that there’s space in your lounge room for some light exercise like stretching and squats so that you can do them whenever the urge comes along.
Hope you found this useful. Comment and leave some tips of your own!