Truth: When the low-fat guidelines first came out, the food manufacturers responded with all sorts of low-fat “health foods.” The issue with these foods is that they lack in taste once the fat is removed, and to combat the bad taste – food manufacturers added large amounts of sugar instead. Sugar is very harmful, while the fat that is naturally present in food is not.
Happy Hump Day! Just a healthy reminder: Always be yourself. Everybody else is already taken!
Happy Tuesday! Take a vegie break this week and whip up this smashed vegetable lasagna in just half an hour!
Ingredients (Serves 1)
Preparation time 6 minutes
40g zucchini cut into 3cm lengths
40g eggplant cut into 3cm cubes
40g red capsicum cut into 3cm chunks
1/2 a tomato cut into chunks
2 cloves unpeeled garlic
1 tablespoon SureSlim Italian Spice Blend
60g mozzarella cheese grated
1 sheet of Mountain Bread cut into quarters
2 tablespoons SureSlim Balsamic Dressing
* Adjust weight to your portion size
Cooking time 25 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 200oC.
2. Place vegetables and garlic on a baking tray, lightly spray with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian Spice Blend.
3. Bake for 15 minutes until vegetables are soft. Remove skin from garlic.
4. Transfer the vegetables and peeled garlic to a bowl, roughly smashing with a fork. Divide mixture into approximately 3 equal parts.
5. Place 1 piece of mountain bread on a baking tray, spoon over 1 part of the smashed vegetables and sprinkle with a quarter of the grated cheese. Continue layering mountain bread, vegetables and cheese, sprinkling the top layer of the bread with the mozzarella.
6. Return to the oven for 8 minutes until the cheese has melted.
7. Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves and drizzle with the Balsamic Dressing.
Note: Extra servings: To increase servings to include the rest of the family simply times ingredients by how many servings are required. (e.g. 4 x teaspoons of Italian Blend. etc for four people)
Happy Monday! The road to weight loss has its ups and downs, but you’ll sail through it if you can banish all negativity, and concentrate on loving everything you possibly can about yourself!
Here’s a healthy Sunday tip to kick start your awesome week: try and eat at least 30 different foods a week to get all of your nutrients. Being deficient in even one nutrient can lead to cravings.
Happy Saturday! It’s not uncommon for afternoon cravings to set in – especially on weekends. Try drinking water or a cup of herbal tea to kick those cravings to the curb.
And just a just a healthy reminder: avoid soft drinks! No food or beverage contributes to the obesity crisis we find ourselves in these days than soft drinks. They are toxic and devoid of nutrition; diet soft drinks are even worse.
Truth: It is suggested that dietary protein increases strain on the kidneys and raises the risk of kidney failure. Although it is true that people with established kidney disease should cut back on protein, this notion is not true for otherwise healthy people. Studies reveal even in athletes that eat large amounts of protein, show that a high protein intake is perfectly safe. Furthermore, a higher protein intake lowers blood pressure and helps fight type 2 diabetes – which are two main risk factors for kidney failure.
Looking for healthy appetizers to serve your guests this weekend? You’ve come to the right place. These raw cucumber sushi rolls are the perfect treat for any type of event – plus, they’re super easy to make!
What you need
Your favourite vegetables, i.e. carrots, capsicum, etc.
1. Cut an English Cucumber into 4-inch sections.
2. Chop up your choice of vegetables
3. Chill both cucumber and chopped vegetables in the fridge for an hour to firm.
4. Begin assembling sushi – to keep things in place, drizzle rice vinegar on avocado
5. Pack ingredients firmly, and carefully slice 4-inch sections in thirds.
6. Plate and serve!
Note: not all of our entertainer tips and suggestions are suitable for your individual SureSlim program. Always refer to your food selection list first.
Happy Hump Day!
Tip for getting over the hump with a smile: Eliminate all negative energy and remind yourself that a positive mind = positive progress!